Another international prize is in the offing: The Man Booker International Prize, which is now awarded annually for a single title. The shortlist for the 2017 prize has been announced, with two authors from Israel, and one each from Argentina, Denmark, France and Norway.
The full list, showing Author (nationality), Translator, Title, is:
- Mathias Enard (France), Charlotte Mandell (US), Compass
- David Grossman (Israel), Jessica Cohen (US), A Horse Walks Into a Bar
- Roy Jacobsen (Norway), Don Bartlett (UK), Don Shaw (UK), The Unseen
- Dorthe Nors (Denmark), Misha Hoekstra (US), Mirror, Shoulder, Signal
- Amos Oz (Israel), Nicholas de Lange (UK), Judas
- Samanta Schweblin (Argentina), Megan McDowell (US), Fever Dream
Not all titles are issued in Australia, but we do have copies of Fever Dream (HB, $20), and we’re very to hunt out any others for fans of great fiction in translation. Stand by for the announcement of the winner on 14 June (UK time).